Located 30 km away from Vijayawada on the road to Hyderabad, Paritala, by virtue of being in the diamond mining area of the Nizam, it was not ceded to the British and acted as an enclave for Hyderabad kingdom in British India. Paritala Taluq was initially part of the Jujjur Khanat of Krishna district. The Nizam handed over Jujjur and other regions of coastal districts to the British on May 14, 1759, while retaining Paritala and six other villages, which had diamond mines. Since then, Paritala Khanat with Bathinapadu, Gani Athkuru, Moguluru, Mallavalli, Kodavatikallu and Ustepalli villages had been ruled by Nizam’s representatives. At the time of independence, this Taluq had a population of around 11000. It had Taluq office, Subtreasury, First Class Munsif Court, Jail, a police station with a Sub Inspector and 8 police along with Nakas(checkposts) in other villages and a part of Nizam’s army.
On Aug 15 1947, 600 protestors led by Madiraju Devaraju and Sheik Maula marched on the government offices forcing the officials to escape. Varanasi Rammurthy, a police with a communist leaning damaged the guns to prevent the Nizam’s police firing on protestors. Paritala became independent on Nov 15 1947.
Madiraju Devaraju was elected the President of the Republic. Avva Satyanarayana wrote the Constitution. Sheik Maula hoisted the tricolour. Being a Muslim who opposed the Nizam, the Ulemas paraded him with slippers on his head. Devaraju went on a fast till the people who supported the Nizam left the borders. Next, they constituted a voluntary militia and it was trained by Ramachandran, who worked in Azad Hind Fauz.
To counter all this, the Nizam wrote a letter to the government of Madras to allow passage of his troops to Paritala which was granted. However, the people of Paritala met the Governor who recommemded the government to rescind on the decision. Parallel to this, a delegation from Paritala met the Home Minister Subbarayan and made him aware of the situation. Because of this, the Nizam was denied permission.
A delegation was sent to Delhi for merger with India in Jan 1948. But, it was de facto annexed to India only as a part of Operation Polo leaving it independent for a little more than a year. Formal annexation happened on 26 Jan 1950 when Indian Constitution came into force.
The Central Committee
Sourced from a Telugu Article