It is possible that Burhan-ud-din is the only royal who cast his lot with Subhas Chadra Bose’s Indian National Army. Born around 1915 to the then king of Chitral Shuja ul-Mulk, he studied from the Islamia College in Peshawar and the Military College at Dehra Dun. He joined Indian Army in 1935 with Baloch Regiment as a Lieutenant and was with Indian Air Force from 1939 to 1941, his first mission being the “Q” Flight sent to Karachi for Coastal Defence Duties and was led by A B Awan. The 1st squadron with which he served was based on Drigh Road Karachi.

He was captured along with the units of Baloch Regiment on the fall of Singapore in 1942. As like the most prisoners in Singapore, he opted to join INA as against being used as slave labourer for the Japanese, finally becoming a high ranking commander in INA’s Burma Army. A religious man, he was said to have sent scouts to bring back the five soldiers under his command who went into Rangoon in search of women and punished them as deserters by flogging, with atleast one person, Joga Singh, dying during his punishment. This was a charge against him during the INA trials. On the surrender of Rangoon on 3 May 1945, he was captured and arrested. He was sentenced to seven years in prison but was released on independence. It is said that after pronouncement of his sentence, Brigadier K M Cariappa, the head of the military court, walked over and shook hands with Burhanuddin.
After the war, he led the Chitral Forces to support the rebellion of Gilgit Scouts, capturing Gilgit and Astore. His nephew, Mata-ul-Mulk came withn further reinforcements which led to the fall of Skardu. For his role in capturing Chilas, he was given the tile “Fateh i Chilas” by Pakistani Government. But, that didn’t stop him from signing “Lieutenant Shahzada Burhanuddin, 1st Squadron, Indian Air Force” in the guest book at Mauripur Air Base at Karachi in 1966, immediately after the 1965 war with India.
He died from a controversial gun wound at his native place, Delamuth, Chitral in 1996.